According to a 2017 study about the effect of music on young adults, it was found that the tempo of music can have a huge impact on the listener’s performance while working out, which is why almost all runners listen to music while running.
The problem is, not all earphones out there are optimized to stick to your ear while bouncing and skipping, and they always end up falling out of your ears while running. Luckily, there are some excellent options out there that are optimized specifically for sports like running.
In today’s article, we’ll walk you through a brief overview of the best earphones for running that don’t fall out to help you pick the ideal one for your needs. So without further ado, let’s jump right in!
10 Best Earphones For Running That Don’t Fall Out
Top 10 Earphones For Running That Don’t Fall Out
There are tons of excellent earphones on the market. Not only that, but they can also come in a wide range of designs and features that appeal to different users.
To help you with the process of choosing the right ones for your needs, here’s a list of our top picks with brief overviews of each one of them:
1. Powerbeats Pro Wireless Earbuds
Kicking off the list with one of the best running headphones out there if you’re looking for the maximum level of performance.
The totally wireless Powerbeats Pro is designed to stick to the ear canal while staying lightweight for the maximum level of stability and comfort.
The design of the earphone is adjustable and provides you with up to 9 hours of continuous playing, so you won’t have to stop and charge it mid-runs. The Bluetooth headphones are also water resistant, so they won’t be affected by sweat
The earbuds are equipped with the excellent Apple H1 headphone chip, but it’s compatible with both iOS and Android Devices.
- Excellent performance with Apple H1 headphone chip
- Compatible with all iOS and Android devices
- Truly wireless design that sticks to the ear tip for maximum stability
- Water and sweat resistant
- A decent listening time that is extendable with the charging case
What People Say
A lot of users enjoyed the sound quality of the earphones, especially for music with high bass and treble, such as EDM music as well as rock and pop.
2. Jaybird Vista Sport Waterproof Workout Earbuds
Next up, we have the Jaybird Vista, which rocks an excellent design that makes it stick to your ear, thanks to its small ear hook design.
The earbuds are also true wireless with 3 interchangeable gel sizes to fit comfortably into your ear canal, allowing you to put them on for a long time without any pain or discomfort. The earphones also have a total playtime of about 16 hours, if you bring the charging case along.
The Jaybird Vista has an IPX7 rating and is made of earth-proof polymers. This makes it both sweatproof and ultra-durable to withstand shocks all the while offering a wide frequency range of 20 to 20,000 Hz.
- Sturdy and reliable construction
- Decent battery life
- Compatible with an iOS/Android app that controls the preset of the earphones
- Adjustable gel sizes
- Equipped with “find my buds” feature
What People Say
Sound quality and comfort are the most common pros that many users mentioned while reviewing the earphones with a few remarks on the lack of battery level indicator on the charging case.
3. Apple AirPods Pro
The Apple AirPods Pro is not only one of the most iconic wireless earphones out there, but they’re also great if you’re in the market for a versatile option that you can use in a variety of situations.
The Airpods Pro is remarkably popular for its excellent noise cancellation feature, which also improves the immersion while using the earphones.
The system also features an adaptive EQ module that allows the pods to adapt the music to your ear morphology. Moreover, you can use the pods for quick access to Siri on iOS.
The AirPods Pro has a total battery life of 24 hours, which is excellent for marathons and long runs. Additionally, the package comes with 3 sizes of silicone tips for adjustability and comfort.
- Automatic and adaptive EQ module for a personalized music experience
- Highly versatile and can be used for a wide range of purposes
- Provides easy access to Siri in iOS devices with easy setup
- Long battery life
- Active noise cancellation with an optional transparency mode
What People Say
The earphones are ideal for Apple devices and are very easy to set up and use. The sound quality is excellent and the design of the AirPods makes them super reliable during long runs and workouts.
4. Samsung Galaxy Buds Plus
On the other hand, Samsung Galaxy Buds Plus are considered the OEM Flagship of Android earbuds, despite being compatible with iOS as well.
One of the best features of these buds is that you can use only one earphone while running, which doesn’t only extend its battery life, but is great if you want to stay aware of your surroundings or while running with your friends.
The earphones come with an excellent battery life of about 22 hours with the earphone case. The case also provides up to 1 hour of playtime with only 3 minutes of charging, making it ideal for quick runs.
This one also comes with 3 different types of ear gels, which allows for an excellent fit and extra comfort for all users. You can find the earphones in several colors as well.
The Galaxy buds come with tap controls on the side, making them ideal for all kinds of uses, whether it’s listening to music or receiving a call!
- The tap controls are very reliable
- Available in various colors
- Compatible with a huge range of devices and wearables
- Excellent low-profile design
- Allows you to use a single earbud
What People Say
The earphones are among the best headphones out there, and many users noted that it’s one of the easiest options to control, although some of them didn’t like that the Galaxy buds require permission to many apps.
5. Jabra Elite Active Bluetooth True Wireless Earbud
If you’re looking for a truly wireless earbud that comes with all the new features that modern earbuds offer without costing a lot of money, you’re going to love the Jabra Elite!
The secure fit design along with the extra grippy coating guarantee that the earphones stick to your ear no matter how active you are!
Among the most noticeable features of the earphone is the active noise cancellation that improves the ambiance of the music and calls.
Moreover, it comes with 4 microphones for an unmatched audio quality while on calls or recording running notes and thoughts.
The earbuds have a 75 ft range along with a 24 hour battery life and access to Jabra Elite app for controlling the sound quality through your smartphone.
- Excellent microphone quality
- Wide Bluetooth range
- Long battery life
- Easy setup and controls
- IP57 rated water resistance
What People Say
The grippy design makes the earphones a favorite among runners and other athletic users, with many of them pointing out the durability of the build and reliability of the earphones, although you can’t use the right earbud independently like the left one.
6. MUCRO Wired Running Headphones
The MUCRO headphones are among the best wired headphones for those looking for a wired option that is optimized for running.
The behind ear hook provides the earphones with a snug fit to the ear while rocking a foldable design that you can easily store when not in use.
The headphones provide crisp sound quality and a zero-lag experience thanks to their wired connection, although the 3.5 mm connection makes it non-compatible with many devices, but nothing a conversion dongle can’t fix!
- Foldable attractive design with vibrant colors that stick to the ears
- Excellent sound quality with zero lag
- Multifunctional built-in microphone
- Highly affordable price
What People Say
The durability and flexibility of the earphones are among the most commonly praised aspects of the wired headphones.
7. AFTERSHOKZ Air Open-Ear Wireless Bone Conduction Headphones
The AFTERSHOKZ has a unique design that makes it stand out among other options on the market, as they feature design elements from both earphones and headphones.
However, these elements are combined together to provide a special sporting behind the ear headphone earphone experience.
The bone conduction construction guarantees that the earphones never fall out while running. Additionally, it also helps in keeping you aware of your surroundings by delivering the sound through the cheekbones, which makes it super-safe for running in crowded areas.
The earphones are remarkably durable and moisture resistant as well, which makes them excellent for running in hot weather.
- Impressive design that keeps the earphones attached
- Helps you stay aware of your surroundings thanks to the bone conduction design
- Available in a variety of colors
- Reasonable price tag
What People Say
All users agreed on the earphones’ outstanding ability to stay on and never fall off while running. A lot of them also mentioned that it’s ideal for those with relatively larger heads. The most common drawback is the lack of voice recognition commands.
8. Bose SoundSport Pulse Wireless Headphones
The Bose sport earbuds are among the most brilliant options offered by audio equipment giant, beating many other options, such as the QuietComfort earbuds that provides excellent noise cancellation but doesn’t stay on the ear as reliably as these sports headphones.
The SoundSport Pulse is available in both wireless and true wireless options to suit your preferences. It also comes with multiple ear tip options for a custom fit.
In addition to Bluetooth, you can also connect the headphones to your smartphone using NFC if your phone supports it.
The SoundSport Pulse comes with another unique feature that is rarely found in wireless headphones at such a price range, which is the heart rate sensor that can help you keep track of your aerobic performance while running without needing a smartwatch with such a sensor!
- Excellent choice for running without falling out of your ears
- Available in a truly wireless design as well
- Multiple methods for connection
- Comes with a built-in heart rate monitor
What People Say
The earphones provide excellent sound quality and reliability while running, although the 6 hour battery life appears to be a common complaint among long-distance runners.
9. MULTITED MX10 Wireless Earbud
If you’re on a strict budget and looking for a reliable option that will get the job done without costing you an arm and a leg, you’re going to enjoy the MULTITED MX10 Wireless Earbuds.
The highly affordable earbud provides an ultra comfortable ear hook design that also equips you with smooth ambient sound while staying durable and IPX7 water resistant!
The battery life of the MX10 exceeds the 10 hour mark, making it highly reliable in long runs. The earbuds are also compatible with Android, iOS, and a wide range of Bluetooth modules
In addition to the wireless earbuds, you also get a durable zipper case and various ear tips to suit the size of your ear canal.
- Long battery life is excellent for marathons and high-mileage runs
- The package comes with a zippered storage case and replacement tips
- Backed with a full one year warranty for a worry-free purchase
- Compatible with a wide range of devices in addition to iOS and Android smartphones
- The IPX7 water resistance rating makes it resistant to both sweat and harsh weather
What People Say
The “hard to beat” price of the earphones is one of its best selling points. However, many users noted that the earphones really deliver what it promises and didn’t compromise on quality in order to pack the earphone with all these features!
10. TREBLAB Z2 Over Ear Sport Workout Headphones
Last but not least, if you prefer overhead sport headphones, these TREBLAB Z2 Wireless Headphones should be the best option to consider, especially if you want ones that won’t fall off!
The TREBLAB Z2 comes with an advanced Bluetooth module that guarantees zero latency or lag while playing music.
It also has one of the longest playtimes offered on the market, with up to 35 hours of total playtime and a quick charging feature.
Like most of the overhead headphones on the market, this one is also great for keeping your ears warm in winter while enjoying remarkable comfort and a snug fit.
- Double as ear warmers while running in cold winter mornings
- Waterproof headphones that resist sweat as well as the elements of weather
- Wireless headphones that provide excellent sound quality with a durable and reliable build
- Features multiple buttons for thorough control of the headphones
What People Say
The earphones offer a huge range of features that make them super functional in a wide range of situations, with many users comparing the earphones to some of the premium headphone options on the market.
Things to Keep in Mind While Buying Sports Earphones
With all the options available on the market, choosing the right set of sports earphones can be a bit tricky.
To help you make the right investment, here is a collective list of all the aspects that you need to keep in mind while buying earphones for running:
Types and Design
The first thing you need to know while getting sport earphones is that they don’t come in a standard design. For instance, here are some of the most popular designs that you’re going to come across while picking sport earphones:
- Earphones that use a large ear hook attached above the ear to stabilize them. These have the highest stability but tend to be a little bulkier than others.
- Earphones that have a smaller ear hook attached to the ear canal from the outside. These have a low profile design with a decent stability
- Earphones that are attached with grippy silicone buds. These are fairly stable but not as stable as the previously mentioned ones.
- Earphones that use flexible bodies to hold on firmly to the back of the head to stay attached to the ear, which have excellent stability too.
- Full-scale overhead headphones, which offer the longest battery life and sound quality, but they’re quite bulky and are more prone to falling off in extra-flexible builds.
As you can see, the choice here comes down to your personal preferences and whether you’re looking for a low profile design.
Connection Method and Compatibility
Back in the day, all earphones would work on just about any device you have, as they were all wired earphones that are connected using a 3.5 mm jack.
But nowadays, the majority of options on the market are connected to smartphones and other devices wirelessly using Bluetooth modules.
Some of these wireless earphones are truly wireless while others are connected to each other using a wire but are connected to the device wirelessly.
If you’re going to pick a wired earbud, make sure that it’s compatible with your device or at least have a suitable conversion adapter or dongle that allows you to use it.
To save yourself the hassle, we recommend that you opt for wireless earphones, as they usually last longer besides being lighter in weight and highly reliable.
The only thing that you need to keep in mind here is to make sure that the earphones are compatible with your device, whether it’s iOS, Android, or any other operating system.
Of course, one of the most important aspects to consider while buying any earphones is the sound quality that the earphone offers.
High quality earbuds that offer decent sound quality and clarity will grant you a more enjoyable experience while you’re running.
While checking the sound quality of the headphones or earphones you should always check their frequency range.
As a rule of thumb, the earphone needs to have a frequency range of 20 to 20,000 Hz in order to be able to pick up all the music elements in whatever you’re hearing.
You should also get a balanced earphone that performs equally well on bass and treble to enjoy your music no matter the genre you listen to.
In addition to the incoming sound quality of the earphone, you also need to make sure that the microphone quality is also up to your standards.
In most cases, wired earphones would offer a better microphone quality, but some wireless options will provide you with a crisp audio quality while recording or making a call.
Fit and Comfort
Just because you’re looking for earphones that won’t fall off while running, doesn’t mean that you have to sacrifice your comfort in the process.
In fact, some earphones can offer a very stable design but are so harsh on your ear that you can’t keep them on your ears for a long time anyway.
While buying earphones, always make sure that they make gentle contact with your ears and use soft silicon and foam in the parts that are in constant contact with your ears.
Having a snug fit is also essential, not only for comfort but also for the stability of the earphones in your ear canal.
Since our ears vary in terms of size and width of the ear canal, you should invest in an option that comes with multiple ear tip sizes, so you can pick the one that suits your ears the most.
This also guarantees that the earphones suit everyone who’s going to use them, especially if they have different ear canal sizes.
The Bluetooth module is quite essential if you’re buying a wireless earphone. While the most updated version of Bluetooth is 5.2, the majority of models on the market will support 5.0 and 5.1 versions.
The more advanced the Bluetooth version, the higher the range of the earphones, which is the maximum distance that you can use the earphones while being away from the source.
Additionally, advanced Bluetooth versions mean lower latency and lag, which is the time taken for the command or music to be transferred wirelessly, which provides a smoother performance while running.
Another important aspect to consider while buying a wireless or a truly wireless earphone is the battery life and charging abilities of the earphone.
Such a feature dictates how long you’re able to use the earphones on a single charge, which is especially important if you run on a long distance track that takes a long time to finish.
The majority of options on the market nowadays will have a battery life that exceeds 6 hours of total playtime.
However, if you want a reliable option that you don’t have to charge as often, you should opt for an earphone model that offers anywhere between 10 to 24 hours of playtime.
Some earphones also charge quickly, allowing you to enjoy up to 1 hour of playtime for as little as 5 minutes of charging, so you have to keep that in mind as well.
Since you’re going to be out for a long time, you want a reliable option that won’t break due to sweat, rain, or other elements of weather. In that case, a water resistant option is your way to go.
Ideally, you should always look for an option that is rated at IP57 or the more advanced IPX7 for a decent performance.
Now that you have a good idea about the essential features that you need to consider while buying running earphones, here are some of the extra features that should add more value to your investment:
- Noise Cancellation: If you don’t like the disturbance of ambient sound and background noise, this feature will help you cancel all the noise and enjoy crystal clear sounds
- Built-in Assistant: This feature helps you access the assistant in your smartphone directly, such as Google Assistant, Siri, etc.
- Heart Rate Monitor: As the name suggests, this feature uses built-in sensors to help you monitor your heart rate while running through your ears, saving you the trouble and cost of buying a heart-rate monitor or a smartwatch to do the same job.
- Music Controls: This includes having buttons or touch commands that allow you to rewind, skip, pause, and play music as well as other functions depending on the model
- Storage Case: These cases don’t only help you store the earphones when they’re not in use, but some of them can also charge the earphones while they’re stored
- Single Earphone Play: This simple feature allows you to use either of the two earphones while charging the other, which is ideal for those who want to stay connected to their surroundings for safety while running.
Final Thoughts On The Best Earphones For Running That Don’t Fall Out
This wraps it up for today’s guide about the best earphones for running that don’t fall out due to sprinting or skipping! As you can see, there are plenty of great options out there that appeal to different needs.
However, if you’re looking for an option that puts out excellent performance when it comes to sound quality and stability on the ear, you should consider the Powerbeats Pro Wireless Earbuds.
However, if you’re looking for a side option that won’t cost you a fortune, you might want to consider budget friendly options like MUCRO Wired Running Headphones and MULTITED MX10 Wireless Earbud.
Both of these options strike an excellent balance between offering a comfortable and enjoyable music performance while coming at a reasonable price!