Best Stability Running Shoes To Support and Protect Your Feet
There are many different types of running shoes to choose from. Many count on stability shoes to exercise in. Stability shoes offer protection for people that have problems with their feet. These kinds of shoes will help all parts of the feet. Here’s a look at some of the best stability running shoes that are available and who should use them.
Quick Look: Our Top Picks
Reasons for Stability Shoes
While anyone can use stability shoes for more support throughout the foot, there are people that need to use them. For example, people that are overpronators need stability shoes. Overpronator is a term that simply means that someone rolls their ankle inward too much when they are walking. This can potentially harm the ankles or cause strain in different areas of the body.
You can also be an underpronator. This means you don’t allow your ankle to roll inward enough when you walk. This can also cause a litany of problems for you. These are issues that someone is not likely to be aware of. Because you don’t watch yourself walk, problems may not be obvious. You want to be able to walk and run properly.
To determine if you have either of these problems or another ailment that would cause you to need stability shoes, you would need to get a diagnosis from your doctor or podiatrist. They should also be able to tell you ways you can treat the problem.
Another good idea is to check the bottom of the shoes you wear the most. If they have an irregular wear pattern or one area is far more worn down than other areas, you may have problems with your feet or ankles.
Most runners that wear these shoes wear them for the extra support they provide and to cut time off their runs.
Here are some of the most common features present when it comes to stability shoes. Some are common to other athletic shoes.
Large mesh areas: Many models of shoes have large mesh areas. This is to keep the shoe cool and breathable. It can also allow the shoe to stay lightweight.
Padded tongues and collars: Keeping the front of the ankle and the back of the ankle protected will lessen pronation problems on all fronts. This means a bit of extra comfort as well.
EVA padding: Much of the mid-heel and other places on the shoe have EVA foam to keep it firm, but also make it quite supportive where it needs to be.
Flexible soles: The treads on many shoes allow for them to be flexible. The more flexible a shoe is, the more natural it will be for someone to walk or run when wearing them.
Reinforced heel: Stability shoes are also thought to help with plantar fasciitis problems, which is a common source of heel pain. They often have a heel that is reinforced. This also serves to give the wearer all the support they need each time their foot hits the ground.
Synthetic construction: Most options are made out of synthetic materials. This can lead to them being easy to keep clean. It also means that people who don’t wear leather or anything made with animal products can still enjoy the shoes.
Good arch support: Many shoes have arch support, which works for all types of arches. They will even work well for people that have flat feet.
Flashy color options: Of course, there will be common or neutral tones available with some brands, but others only have flashy colors like pink, red, or orange. This allows the shoes to be bright and noticeable. You may feel special when you put them on, which gives you an incentive to wear them.
To find the right stability shoes for you, you need to make sure you know all about your foot. This includes knowing what type of arch you have and the correct width of your feet. You should also measure both feet to be sure they are actually the same size.
Your shoes will not be able to help you if you don’t have the correct fit, so take some time to make sure that you get all the measurements right.
It wouldn’t hurt if you got professionally fitted if you can, much like you would when you want to buy a suit. Keep in mind that you will want to use these shoes for years to come, so they should be able to hold up well for a long time.
Don’t just buy the attractive shoes; get the ones that feel like they are made the best. Look for the right amount of support and features, and make sure there are no holes, exposed seams, or threads that would mean poor craftsmanship.
- Easy lacing system: The lacing system is made of a bungee and elastic, so there are no loose laces to get in the way. There is even a pocket to put the end in, so it isn’t hanging out of the shoe or causing problems.
- A great amount of grip on sole: The sole has great grip, especially on the heel area of the shoe, so you won’t slip. This allows you to run on inclines and still get traction.
- Water-resistant: These are water-resistant, so you’re able to use them even if the weather isn’t perfect. For example, this might come in handy if you plan on doing races that are muddy or in the snow.
- Good for different terrains: It is also good for different terrains, not just grass or paved roads. You can run well on rocky trails too.
- Have arch support: There is a good amount of arch support in these shoes. This is sometimes a rare feature in running shoes.
- Not great for those with wide feet: These are narrow shoes, so if you have wide feet, they may not be for you.
New Balance Men’s M990v3 Running Shoe
- Come in many colors: There are more than 10 colors to choose from when it comes to these shoes. This includes neutral colors and bright colors.
- Made of leather and rubber: The top of the shoe is made of mostly leather and the bottom is made of rubber. This means that they are made of materials that are rugged, so you don’t have to be as careful with these shoes.
- Has reflective material: There is also reflective material on the top of the shoes. If you run at night, this should help other people see you, especially if you wear them with other reflective clothing.
- Removable insoles: There are insoles in the shoe that you can take out if you want to. You are able to add your own insoles if you remove them.
- Different widths available: There are multiple widths available, so whether you have a wide foot or a narrow foot, there is a size that should be able to meet your needs.
- Soles may wear out: If these are worn each day, they may wear out in the soles. Be sure to look at them each time you take them off, so you’ll know if they are coming apart at the seams.
ASICS Women’s Gel Kayano 21 Running Shoe
- Special cushioning for women’s feet: Since these shoes are made for women, they have cushioning in the places where the female foot needs it the most. This is near the middle of the shoe.
- Reinforced heel: The heel also has a grid of cushioning to keep your heel protected when you wear them. If someone suffers from heel problems, this is a feature that would be invaluable.
- Good for people with flat feet: These shoes are good for those with flat feet, because of the cushioning in the soles. They also have a bit of arch support for other types of feet.
- Has sock liner that stays dry: The sock liner is not only padded for extra comfort, but it also stays dry. You shouldn’t have sweaty feet when you wear these since they are designed to keep moisture away.
- Padded collars: They have padded collars, which is at the back of the shoe. It protects the ankle from damage and strain.
- May take a while to break in: You will have to wear these quite a few times before they are properly broken in. In other words, they may feel like they don’t fit correctly at first.
Saucony Women’s Cohesion Running Shoe
- Very breathable: Much of the top of the shoe is made of mesh, so it has a great amount of breathability. This should help keep odors at bay since the air will be able to circulate.
- Roomy toe box: The toe box in these is roomy. There is a lot of room for the toes to spread out.
- Offer a lot of comfort: The entire shoe is built to be comfortable, all the way from the toes to the heel.
- Last a long time: These will hold up well over time. They are hard to wear out or damage, so you might be able to enjoy them for many months or even years.
- Grooves on sole: There are grooves on the sole of the shoes. This allows for the whole thing to be flexible. This flexibility allows you to be able to bend your foot how you need to when you’re walking and running in different areas.
- Shoes can run small: On certain widths of feet, these shoes will be a little bit smaller than the sizing suggests. You will need to get a slightly larger size to accommodate for this.
Mizuno Men’s Wave Inspire 11 Running Shoe
- Vegan-friendly: It is made entirely out of man-made materials, so it is completely vegan-friendly. No animal products are used in production.
- Lightweight: These shoes do not weigh that much, so they won’t add a lot of weight to your feet when you wear them. This could be an excellent feature to take advantage of when you’re running since they won’t slow you down.
- Flexible fit: The whole shoe is designed to be flexible, so you can run many miles at a time if you want to. This is due to the sock liner that works in conjunction with the outer part of the shoe.
- Supportive design: In addition to being flexible, it is also quite supportive. There is a platform and a sole that offers even more protection.
Only for narrow feet: While these are great for people with narrow feet, they are not the best for people with wide feet. If you have wide feet, you may want to look elsewhere.
May not be great for long distance running: It might not be comfortable to run long distances in these. You might want to stick to quick runs or other activities for maximum
In my opinion, the New Balance Men’s M990v3 Running Shoe is the best stability shoe. This is mainly due to the fact that they last a long time. They feature insoles, but you can take them out and put in your favorite insoles.
Furthermore, they have leather uppers and reflective parts. This, along with the many colors they come in, make these attractive as well as functional. Besides that, they have a familiar design, which is great for runners that don’t want to draw attention to their feet. They are also available in a variety of widths, so nearly anyone can find a good fit with these shoes.