Many parents count on strollers no matter what type of situation they are in. This includes when they take time out to exercise, including walking or running. The best running strollers have room for everything you need to take with you and are also made to ride smoothly on different types of terrain. Here’s a look at some of the top-rated models and what makes them special.
Quick Look: Our Top Picks
What is the Same?
Strollers are designed to keep your baby safe when you need to go somewhere, such as running errands or visiting family and friends. Most have basic features that they share across the board. Here are some examples.
- Large canopy: The majority of strollers have canopies that can be adjusted depending on how much protection from the sun your child needs. This also allows them to take naps and avoid being exposed to the wind.
- Storage areas: They also have storage areas, usually underneath the seat. This is the best place to keep your purse or baby’s things.
- Harness: Another feature that is quite commonplace is a safety harness. Most are 5 point harnesses, which is very safe, just like a child’s car seat.
What is Different?
If you are considering a purchase of a running stroller, there are a few things you have to know before you start shopping. You will first need to know that you can’t just use any stroller for running. There are special safety features that running strollers have, which make them different from other models. Here are some of the most common:
- Suspension: Nearly all models have serious suspension. This is so the ride won’t jar your tyke, whether you’re on a paved road, grass, or carpet. Essentially, it can help with overall handling as well. This feature may also keep a stroller from trying to fold up when you hit sharp turns or corners.
- Different sized wheels: Unlike items with 4 wheels, running strollers often have 3 wheels. They will have 2 large wheels in the back and one smaller wheel in the front. The front wheel can often be locked into place, so it won’t try to veer off course when you’re running at fast speeds.
- A comfortable seat: Many can be utilized over the span of many years or multiple children. This makes a comfortable seat something that can come in quite handy. Some have extra padding, vented areas, or even pockets on the sides for toys.
- Fold-up capabilities: There are one-handed folding options out there, as well as strollers that will fold up rather flat. This makes them easier to transport and allows them to fit in a variety of places.
No matter what type of stroller you purchase, you may have a problem with the tires. At the same time, these problems are not that hard to fix with a little planning. If you are concerned that the tires on your stroller won’t hold up well over time, you can plan to purchase replacements or get new ones that you know you can trust.
Another solution is to keep an air pump with you when you use the stroller, in case you have a flat while you are away from home. Either one of these solutions will keep you and your tot safe. They can also ensure that you will still be able to use your stroller at all times.
It is a good idea to be familiar with the warranty on your child’s seat too, so you can return it or get a replacement if there are other serious issues. Many companies make revisions to their strollers each year, so this is something you may want to keep up with.
Notes on Usage
You do not have to be a runner to use this type of equipment, but it is more likely to come in handy if you are one. This is due to the fact that you won’t have to worry as much about being able to navigate, wherever you are. Furthermore, the units are designed to not fall apart when you are moving at fast speeds.
However, it is still recommended that you use your stroller on paved roads, grass, and other smooth surfaces. If you are traveling on bumpy streets or cobblestone paths, you may have some problems with your model.
Always have a good idea of where you want to use your stroller and what you want to use it for before making a purchase. This will allow you to look at pertinent information and on the manufacturer’s website to see what would be a great fit.
Alternatively, you could be aware of certain item’s weaknesses and know if it would interfere with what you want to do. For example, if you only run in the park, usually on grass, you’ll need a model that has tires that are designed to go on all types of terrain. If you like to travel, you’ll want to find a model that folds up easily and as flat as possible.
Baby Trend Expedition Jogging Stroller
- Seat can recline: The seat has a 5 point safety harness. It’s also able to recline back into different positions to keep your baby comfortable.
- Features cup holders for baby and parent: There are places for both a child and an adult to put their drinks. This may come in handy if you go on a long run and need to stay hydrated.
- Has storage basket underneath: The large area underneath can be used to store your essentials. It can hold items like a handbag, diaper bag, or snacks.
- Can fold up with one hand: For storing and traveling, you can fold it up with one hand. The front wheel also comes off, so it folds up small.
- Has adequate canopy: The canopy clicks into place to keep the sun out of your baby’s eyes.
- Tires may go flat: The tires are filled with air and may become flat rather quickly. It is a matter of where you use it.
- Not suitable for all heights: Taller dads and moms might run into trouble if they try to run with this one. This is because the stroller handles may be too low for some.
Graco Fastaction Fold Jogger Click Connect Stroller
- Compatible with Graco car seats. You can use this stroller with infant car seats from the same brand. It will click into place to let you know it’s secure.
- Easy to use: It isn’t hard to steer on different terrains. It is also able to make sharp turns. The front wheel can be locked or allowed to turn. This gives you a little bit of control, depending on the terrain.
- Large tray for snacks: There are trays for food and drink, so you can always have them nearby. There is even a place for a smart phone.
- Comes in different colors: This one comes in a few colors, so it shouldn’t be difficult to find one that suits a little boy or girl.
- Stands up when it is folded: When this model is folded up, it has a kickstand to keep it from falling over. This can be a real time saver when you’re traveling or need to put it away somewhere.
- Too big for some cars: This is a large model that may not fit in all cars. You might have to take the front tire off each time you want to store it in your trunk.
BOB 2016 Revolution FLEX Stroller
- Has adjustable handle: It doesn’t matter what your height is because you can adjust the handle to 9 different positions. This means you should be able to make it feel natural in your hands.
- Specialized suspension: This product has a special suspension that helps it have a smooth ride on virtually all types of ground. It shouldn’t rattle your baby around too much.
- Can be used for a long time: This will accommodate a child from 4 months old and up to 75 pounds.
- Will fold up small: It has 2-step folding, which makes the stroller rather flat when it’s done. This can help you save room and it will be able to fit in most cars.
- Has comfortable seat: The seat is properly padded. It also sits straight back, so there’s a lot of room for the passenger.
- Easy to clean: You can’t take the interior cloth out, but you can spot clean it with a rag and some soap. This can solve the problems of stains or accidents.
- Not ideal for taller kids: Even though the weight limit is rather high, if your kid is tall, they may grow out of this one fast.
Thule Urban Glide Jogging Stroller
- Has a secure storage area: The area under the seat is large and zips closed. This is a good feature when you’re running, since there will be no sliding around of your valuables. They will be secure and protected.
- Features peek-a-boo window: If your child is napping, you won’t have to walk around the front to check on them. There is a magnetic window to look through, with no extra noise to bother them.
- Has an ergonomic handlebar: The handlebar is ergonomic and can be adjusted to a few different heights.
- Ventilated seat: The seat has ventilation, so your baby won’t get too overheated. This is especially important if you use this product outside often.
- Is lightweight: The weight is less than 25 pounds, so you won’t be lugging around something that is extremely heavy.
- Some parts may wear out quickly: Besides the tires going flat, other parts of this stroller may wear out too. Make sure that you look over all the parts before you use it, so you don’t have an accident on the road.
- No hand brakes: This one has no hand brakes, but it does have foot brakes to use in emergencies.
Joovy Zoom 360 Ultralight Jogging Stroller
- Has a wide seat: The seat is wide and is able to accommodate kids of many heights and weights. It also leaves a lot of room to get comfortable.
- Comes with extras: There are few extras that come standard with this model. The most notable is an air pump for the tires.
- Constructed of aircraft aluminum: It has a solid body because it is made of aircraft grade aluminum. This makes it durable and keeps it lightweight.
- Features a full canopy: The canopy will completely cover a child so they don’t get harmed from the weather or the sun.
- Has mesh pockets on sides: There are pockets on the side of the seat for snacks or other important items you need to keep close.
- Wheels may shake when running: Depending on where you use this, there could be a lot of shaking with the wheels. This may mean you need to lock the front wheel or check the alignment.
- Seat is set up high: The seat sits up almost as high as a real chair, so it is great for larger kids but you may not want to put a small baby in it.
I feel that the best running stroller reviewed here is the Graco Fastaction Fold Jogger Click Connect Stroller. This is largely due to the fact that it is easily compatible with car seats, so you can use it pretty much as soon as your child comes into the world. You can then continue to use it until they outgrow it.
Other impressive features are that it can stand up when folded, and there are large trays for parents and child. It has great handling as well, which is important when you are away from your house and trying to get things accomplished. It comes in different colors, so you can choose one that matches other items you have or you can be more recognizable in the crowd.