The importance of wearing the right shoes for running cannot be overstressed. The shoes you wear serve as your partner in achieving your fitness goals. Without them, you may not be able to run at all. If you are flat-footed, it can be a challenge to find the best running shoes. You should consider the kind of stability and support that the shoes can provide. Having said that, you might be wondering how to choose the best running shoes for women with flat feet?
Quick Look: Our Top Picks
Flat feet and running
Flat-footed runners know how frustrating and difficult it is to run without experiencing pain. Thanks to technology, shoe manufacturers have developed footwear that is designed for people who have flat feet. People who have flat feet no longer have to suffer.
The right running shoes protect your feet from harsh elements, blisters, and injuries. You should buy running shoes that will address your needs and fit your feet comfortably.
Before we look at some of the best running shoes, let us first understand what flat feet are.
Simply put, a person is flat-footed if his or her foot has an arch that is lower than normal. The best way to see if you are flat-footed is to wet your feet, and then stand on dry concrete. The marks will indicate the form of your feet. If you can see the entire form of your feet, you are flat-footed.
There are several reasons why some people have flat feet. Flat feet may present from birth, but may also be caused by rheumatoid arthritis, dislocated bones, pregnancy, aging, and obesity related to diabetes. When you are flat-footed, you may notice that your feet tire easily. Your heels and arches may hurt after prolonged standing, walking, or running.
One of the main disadvantages of having flat feet is that you are more prone to suffer from plantar fasciitis. This is due to the fact that your feet do not land on the ground as they should, which results in pain in the ankles, legs, hips, and even the back.
What to look for in running shoes
One of the challenges of running with flat feet is that it can lead to injuries and pain. This can be avoided by investing in running shoes that are designated for people who have flat feet. These type of shoes usually have stability or motion control features to prevent injuries as you run.
Shoes with stability control can offer flat-footed runners a combination of cushioning, support, and durability. They help limit excess motion of the foot, and can provide a more stable impact whenever your feet hit the ground.
Stability control shoes are characterized by a lining of foam along the instep. The foam cushions the arch region of your foot. It can help you maintain a solid pace, and allow you to pronate forward and not inward.
Shoes with motion control have more cushioning along the arch of the foot. The cushion is usually made from foam or other padding materials. This type of shoe works by restricting your foot to reduce the risk of the foot rolling inward. Simply put, motion control shoes hold the foot in place when the body is in motion.
Because of that function, motion control shoes are heavier than other types of running shoes. It can be considered a disadvantage for most people, but if you want to improve the quality of your run and avoid potential injuries, the added weight is necessary.
Buying the perfect running shoes for flat feet
Now that you know the features that you should look for, it should be easier for you to buy the perfect running shoes that will serve as your running partner. Aside from stability and motion control, you also need to consider your running style and the frequency of your running. If you are training for a marathon, you might want to invest in a great pair of shoes, because they can contribute a lot to your success.
Flat-footed runners are also advised to consult with a specialist to confirm a diagnosis. If you take running seriously, you need to determine your specific type of running gait, and the amount of pronation that occurs when you are running.
Also, do not forget that comfort should be next on the list of the features that you should look for. Running shoes should be comfortable and safe. If they aren’t, you won’t finish the run.
Before you purchase, it is also better to research and read about the latest products that are recommended for flat feet. You can read online reviews and get information online, or from physical stores. It is all right to shop around, especially if you will be spending a significant amount of money for the perfect running shoes.
To help get you started, here are five of the best running shoes for women with flat feet.
5 Best Running Shoes for Women with Flat Feet
ASICS Women’s Gel-Nimbus 18 Running Shoe
The Gel-Nimbus 18, named for a cloud, seems to create an expectation that this pair of shoes can provide a cushioned ride as if your feet are stepping on the clouds. This might be a great choice for those who are looking for the most comfortable pair of running shoes because of the plush insoles.
- It has a gel cushioning system, which is great for runners who have flat feet because it reduces shock during landing and toe-off.
- The forefoot is made from industry standard soft rubber, while the other high-wear areas are made from harder and more durable rubber. This combination aims to maximize the wearer’s comfort and the overall product durability.
- It features a FluidRide midsole, which combines bounce back and cushioning properties, as well as lightweight and exceptional durability.
- A FluidFit upper technology helps the shoes adapt to your feet with a combination of multi-directional stretch mesh and stretch reinforcements.
- Asics’ Heel Clutching System Technology provides improved support and a great fitting environment for your heels. This means that this pair of shoes is designed to hold onto your feet with the help of the external plastic heel counter.
Things to be Aware Of
- One of the drawbacks of the Asics Nimbus is that it has a narrow fit and the size may be too small for those who have wider feet.
- The toe box is also narrower, so it tends to put pressure on the front of the feet and can make them sore.
Saucony Women’s Guide 9 Running Shoe
If you are looking for a lightweight running shoe that can provide both support and comfort to your flat feet, the Saucony Guide 9 might be one of your best options.
- They are made of fabric and synthetic materials with highly breathable mesh upper sole.
- One great feature which can benefit flat-footed runners is the midsole, which maximizes rebound and durability while also minimizing weight.
- The upper part of the shoes has lightweight, yet strong FLEXFILM for a seamless design. This feature provides a flexible fit without compromising underfoot support.
- The top sole uses the latest cushioning construction and material innovation with EVERUN. It has enhanced energy return properties which promote an energized running experience.
- These provide shock absorption in the crash pad, which allows a smooth transition, and helps avoid bad transition and landing.
- The TRI-FLEX outsole allows better ground contact and increased dispersion over a bigger surface area. It is also responsible for delivering the finest flexibility and traction.
Things to be Aware Of
- If you are looking for a pair of running shoes with a wide toe box, this might not be the one for you.
- The sizing of this model is a bit off as well, so it would be best to have a fitting first to determine your right size.
Mizuno Women’s Wave Rider 19 Running Shoe
The Wave Rider is one of Mizuno’s most popular running shoe, and it continues to get better. The Wave Rider 19 is a neutral running shoe, which means it is designed for runners who have a natural manner of stepping. They usually have only a little cushioning and are not meant to correct any foot issues.
- If you are looking for a pair of running shoes which has an amazing underfoot feel, the Wave Rider 19 might be the one you are looking for.
- It is resilient, responsive, and lightweight – all great qualities in a running shoe.
- There is enough cushion to provide your feet with the comfort that they need.
- It also has a redesigned toe cap and a blown rubber forefoot for increased durability.
- The stretch laces help ensure that it creates a dialed-in fit to your feet.
- The premium sock liner was upgraded to enhance rebound and resiliency.
Things to be Aware Of
- If you have plantar fasciitis, the Wave 19 may not be the shoe for you.
- As with some of the other shoes that we have reviewed, this model best fits narrow feet. If you have wide feet, you may want to look elsewhere.
Brooks Women’s Adrenaline GTS 16 Running Shoe
GTS means Go to Shoe, and this is one of the most popular running shoes of the manufacturer, Brooks. The Adrenaline GTS 16 is ideal for flat-footed women, as well as those with medium arches.
- The outsole of the GTS 16 is constructed with a full-length segmented crash pad, which allows the shoes to adapt to your landing when you run.
- It has an adjustable saddle design for additional support.
- The element linings are made of mesh and are very breathable to keep your feet cooler and drier.
- The Adrenaline GTS 16 boasts a Biomogo DNA Midsole Cushioning and Progressive Diagonal Roll Bar, which can guide your body back into its natural motion.
- It also has an updated V-Groove, which folds deeper inward and disperses impact outward.
- One of the best features of this shoe is its wide base. This is great for flat-footed runners, because it aids in keeping the foot aligned, and avoids swerving during toe-off.
Things to be Aware Of
- There may be inconsistencies when it comes to sizing, so a fitting may be in order.
Nike Women’s Free 5.0+ Running Shoe
Aside from the fact that this pair of shoes was manufactured by one of the biggest names in the shoe industry, the Nike Women’s Free 5.0+ might also be one of the best for those with flat feet, because it has a great upper fit and is also well cushioned underneath.
If you are looking for a pair of shoes that can be used as a transition shoe or be used for training, then you might want to consider getting yourself a pair.
- These shoes make quite an impression, as they are available in bright and bold colors. For women who like running in style, these might be a great choice.
- The super-bendy soles add to the flexibility of the shoes.
- The textured mesh full inner sleeve makes it fit like a pair of socks. This makes the shoes easier to wear and take off.
Things to be Aware Of
- Most runners only use them for shorter runs, because they are marketed as minimalist shoes.
- If you are going to participate in a marathon, it might not be a great idea to wear this pair. While they are stylish, they are not really a long-distance running shoe.
Among the running shoes that we have reviewed, the pair of shoes with the most advantages is the ASICS Women’s Gel-Nimbus 18 Running Shoe. For women with flat feet, comfort is of the utmost importance, which is what the Nimbus 18 is known for. They also provide stability and motion support.
Searching for the best running shoes for women with flat feet can be a bit of a challenge, so it would be best if you can fit them prior to the actual purchase. As indicated in our reviews, most of the drawbacks involve shoes not being true to their size, so to avoid any hassles of having to return your purchase, determine your correct size first to fully enjoy and maximize your running shoes and their benefits.